1. Examine the significance of social arid psychological factors for understanding organizational behaviour. (1988)
2. What is leadership style? Which leadership style do you think is most suitable to Indian industries and why? (1988)
3. To develop flexible managers for the future we should teach them to write poetry, read military history and study weather maps (W J Reddin). Substantiate. (1988)
4. Discuss the neo-classical and open system theories of organization. In what way the systems theory is an improvement over the neo classical theory of organization? (1989)
5. Answer the following questions
1. What are formal and informal groups? What are the characteristics of informal groups? What should a manager do to utilize informal groups to the advantage of his organization?
2. What strategies are available to a manager to resolve intergroup conflict?
6. Discuss the contributions of Fred, Feidler, and Mc Clelland to the theory and practice of Organizational behavior.
7. Answer the following questions (1990)
1. Compare and contrast Lewins unfreezing-Changing freezing Model, Grieners Equential Process Model, and Leavitts systems model. Which one do you think explain effectiveness more comprehensively?
2. With the help of an example, discuss the approach of Action Research as a process and identify appropriate intervention techniques.
8. Critically examine the Behavioural theory of the Firm. Also comment on Simons satisfying theory and Cohen and Cyert Model of Behaviorisms.
9. Compare Maslows and Herzberg models to determine similarities and differences. Discuss the difference between intrinsic and extrinsic rewards and explain how Herzbergs motivational factors are primarily intrinsic. (1991)
1. Discuss the various types of power. Relate the concept of power to the types of leadership. Who is an ideal leader?
10. Why is informal channel of communication called a grapevine? Should managers use grapevine or rely on formal communication? How far interference in communication is caused by sematic, psychological and organisational barriers?
11. Standardished particles of managing people are responsible for enervating the fabric of organisations both at micro-and micro-levels. How far do you agree with this statement? (1992)
12. Among many styles of leadership, it is the Enclavel Leadership Style, which exists in all types of organisations in our country? Elucidate. Explain the Enclave leadership Style.
13. What are those problems of organisational structure which punctuate the pace of growth and Development in a Programme?
14. Why do people resist change? What can a Change Agent do to deal with resistance to change? (1993)
15. Motivation is one of the psychological components of human personality. Explain how it influences human behaviour.
16. What is Systems Theory of organisation? In what way it is different from Classical and Neo-classical theories of organisation?
17. Answer the following questions
1. Status Hierachy-superior-subordinate chain of command-is a must for managing all categories of employees in any organisation: All the same this Hierarcy may cause conflicts. Elucidate and suggest methods to minimise the conflict.
18. Distinguish between classical neo-classical and open systems theories of organisation, Examine implications of each of them. (1994)
19. Conflict is good for an organisation. Do you agree with this statement? Give reason in support of your views.
20. Make a comparative study of the contributions of Herzberg, McGregor and Macclelland in the field of management. Under Indian conditions which of these have more relevance? (1995)
21. Generally four categories of employees are found in an organization. These are:
1. those who are willing to work and are also competent
2. those who are not willing to work but are competent
3. those who are willing to work but are not competent
4. those who are not willing to work and are also not competent
As supervisor, how would you deal with each of the above mentioned categories of employees? Use your knowledge of theories of work motivation and leader ship in deciding on a plan of action. Also give rationale for your proposed action.
22. Answer the following questions (1996)
1. Why do employees offer resistance to change? How, can the resistance to change he minimized?
2. Discuss Likerts System 1 − 4 approach to leadership. Which of these leadership styles is advocated by Likert and why?
23. Answer the following questions
1. Decision-making involves choosing from among alternative solutions. Comment and explain the role of creativity in decision-making.
2. How do superior-subordinate relations distort communication? What are the barriers that reduce effectiveness of communication?
24. Answer the following questions (1997)
1. Behaviour is the function of Man and his Environment. Explain this statement.
2. How do socio-psychological factors influence mans behaviour at work?
25. Distinguish between Group-think and Group-shift. In what way is Delphi technique of Group Decision-making better than the Nominal Group technique?
26. Answer the following questions
1. What are the different stages involved in the conflict process.
2. Discuss the role of Johari Window in resolving inter personal conflict.
27. Critically analyze various components of Open Systems Theory of organisation. In what way is it transparent? How is it different from the Neo-classical theory of organisation?
28. Answer the following questions (1998)
1. Explain the concept of Management by Objectives. Management philosophy underlies this concept?
2. Discuss Maslows Theory of Need Hierarchy.
29. Discuss the Leadership styles as propounded by Rensis Likert and Blake and Mouton.
30. What causes conflict in organizations? Discuss the methods of conflict resolution.
31. Organization behaviour specialists assume that empowerment is the key to successful total quality organization. Build a case for or against this observation using suitable examples. (1999)
32. Describe the most comprehensive theory of personality and discuss its role in understanding employee behaviour.
33. Analyze the content theories of motivation and discuss their relevance in the multicultural context of Indian society.
34. The Satisfaction. Productivity controversy (2000)
35. The Classical and Contemporary view on the span of control
36. Change is now widely recognised as the only constant factor in the life of any organisation. Under this situation, what strategy would you recommend for a global organization engaged in software development? Give the rationale of your recommendation.
37. There are two broad categories of leaders, namely creative and dominant. Elucidating these kings comment on the well researched observation that: When most of the organizations come to be led by dominant leaders, the decay of the society is certain.
38. Delegation and Decentralisation in an organisation (2001)
39. Group Dynamics
40. Do you think that the structure of an organisation is a matter of choice of top management? If not, then explain (60).
41. Halls stages of personality development (2002)
42. Morale and Productivity
43. Critically analyze the statement that the various psychological processes can be thought of as pieces of a jigsaw puzzle, and the personality as the completed puzzle picture. What are major attributes of a successful and efficient administrator (60)?
44. Essential features of systems analysis
45. Illustrate and evaluate conflict management strategies employed by decision makers. Use a conflict situation you have encountered or are familiar with to aid your response (60).
46. Management of change (2003)
47. Knowledge based enterprises
48. Coping strategies for job stress exist at both the individual and the organizational levels. Summarize and evaluate these various strategies for preventing and/or more effectively managing stress (60).
49. Constituents of Organisational Climate
50. Intellectual capital is knowledge that transforms raw materials and makes them more valuable. [Thomas A Stewart] (2004)
51. Establishing a climate for organizational creativity and innovation.
52. Decision making under certainty, risk and under-certainty.
53. Minimizing the pain of downsizing.
54. Enumerating the major challenges being faced by the traditional leadership theory, explain the concept of transformational or charismatic leadership. Discuss the extent to which it can ensure organizational results in the context of current Indian corporate scenario (60).
55. Organizational Philosophy and Ethics
56. Managerial Grid
57. Briefly discuss Maslows theory of motivation. How is this theory different from the Herzbergs theory? Which one of these theories, in your opinion, explains the human behaviour (60)? (2005)
58. Communication is the major shaping force in an organization. [Chester Barnard] Elucidate this statement. What are key elements in inter personal Communication processes? Discuss in brief, the common barriers to effective inter personal Communication. How may these be overcome (60)?
59. Programmed Decisions and Non-programmed Decisions (2005)
60. Sensitivity Training
61. Distinction between delegation and decentralization (2006)
62. There exist certain barriers to communication that tend to distort the message and directly retard the success of managers in the performance of their tasks. Discuss this statement and suggest the appropriate measures to overcome these barriers (60).
63. High Performance Leadership (2007)
64. Define Group. Point out its characteristics. Explain five stages of group development. Does this development process make sense when applied to groups to which you have belonged (60)?
65. Employees Morale